Grade 10-11 Brainlinexpress
The freedom to enjoy learning at your own pace.
BrainlineEXPRESS for Grade 10-11 allows you to choose and source study material for your child/a student, and provides an assessment portfolio that your child/a student can complete at his/her own pace.
Is BrainlineEXPRESS for Grade 10–11 the right product for you?
This is ideal if you:
Are able to source your child’s/the student’s study material.
Would like to complete the CAPS/IEB aligned assessment portfolio in your own time and at your own pace.
Don’t want to be bound by timelines and set schedules.
Don’t necessarily have regular internet access.
Still want to comply with the legal requirements.
Want the option to obtain a Brainline report.
Not what you are looking for?
We have worked out an easy quiz to help you navigate which of our products will serve you the best.
January to September
Purchase the Self-assessment Portfolio in the brainBOOKS Store and enrol for the optional Final Formal Assessment.
Complete the included mid-year Self-assessment Portfolio items.
Revise the year’s work. Consider enrolling for the optional Final Formal Assessment
Write the optional Final Formal Assessment according to the set schedule (if enrolled).
Receive a Brainline report, if you enrolled for the optional Final Formal Assessment.
To qualify for a National Senior Certificate, a learner should complete 7 subjects: one Home Language, an Additional Language, Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy, Life Orientation, and a minimum of 3 NSC approved subjects.
- Afrikaans Huistaal
- Afrikaans Eerste Addisionele Taal
- English Home Language
- English First Additional Language
*You need to attend a compulsory scheduled oral session in Grade 12 at one of our five branches.
- Physical Sciences*
- Life Sciences**
- Agricultural Sciences***
*Mathematics is compulsory.
**Compulsory practical examinations in Grade 12 at a designated Brainline branch. Additional fees apply.
***Life Sciences is recommended.
- Business Studies
*Mathematics is highly recommended.
- Mathematical Literacy
*The student must have access to his/her instrument, must have passed at least Grade 2 theory and practical from an accredited examination board, and must be receiving private lessons that focus on (at least) Grade 3 theory and practice.
- Grade 10: Passed Grade 2, busy with Grade 3 to complete at the end of Grade 10 (Practical & theory.)
- Grade 11: Passed Grade 3, busy with Grade 4 to complete at the end of Grade 11 (Practical & theory.)
Engineering Graphics and Design
- Engineering Graphics and Design*
- Computer Applications Technology**
- ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY – Digital Electronics (Grade 10 only)
- ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY – Electronics (Grade 10 only)
*Additional software required: TurboCAD 21 Deluxe. An A3 printer is required.
*Requires the full professional version of Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Microsoft Office 365 containing these full versions will also be accepted. Compulsory practical examination in Grade 12 at a Brainline branch.
Culture and Arts
- Dramatic Arts*
- Visual Arts**
*Compulsory practical examinations in Grade 12 at a designated Brainline branch. Additional fees apply.
**First-time students of Visual Arts are required to submit a portfolio of work as prescribed by Brainline.
- Life Orientation
Successful completion of the previous grade is recommended.
Enrolment is open throughout the year. Assessments scheduled for a date after enrolment need to be completed.
Supervision by an independent invigilator is recommended during tests and examinations.
Progress reports are issued after each assessment cycle. These provide external evidence of your child’s CAPS-compliant assessment and academic record for future academic prospects.
According to the Draft Policy on Home Education, a parent/guardian may set his/her own promotion and retention requirements, provided these are equal to or exceed the standard requirements as determined by the national promotion criteria.
You, the parent/guardian, are responsible to source study material although Brainline will provide you with a list of suggested resources and work schedule.
Enrolments are only accepted for the full assessment portfolio in all the subject. Single subject enrolments are only available in Grade 10–11.
You will receive a Cycle 1 and 2 Test, and a mid-year examination assessment portfolio, for each subject with your purchase. Your child/the student should complete these items, as the outcome will enable you to monitor their progress.
Marking guidelines and assessment mark sheets are included in the assessment portfolio.
You, the parent/guardian/competent assessor, can mark these items at your own pace, as completed by your child/the student. You should file the completed marked items as evidence of compliance
Enrolling for the optional final examinations will give you access to brainONLINE where you will download and upload all your child’s/the student’s completed assessment items.
These examinations are written in the comfort of your own home according to a strict schedule that is published on brainONLINE and available upon enrolment and are marked by experienced subject specialists.
Supervision by an independent invigilator is recommended for the optional final examinations.
Your child/the student will receive a Brainline report on brainONLINE if you have enrolled him/her for the optional final examinations.
- are over the age of 18 and want to work towards your NSC.
- would like to complete Grade 10 and 11 in one year.
- have enough time to dedicate towards your studies so that you can master the full curriculum in one year.
- Quarterly virtual classes by qualified teachers.
- would like to continue with Grade 12 through Brainline the following year.
- are employed either part- or full-time and want to work toward your NSC find this product ideal.
Assessment PortfolioGrade 10-11
- This will give you access to brainONLINE where you will download the assessment portfolio. (7 Subjects)
- Please note the final examination can be purchased at an additional cost
Portfolio & ExaminationGrade 10-11
- This will give you access to brainONLINE where you will download and upload all your child’s completed assessment items before 30 September, inclusive of the assessment portfolio.
- These examinations are marked by experienced subject specialists.
- Follow a structured learning programme, based on the IEB requirements, in the comfort of your own home.
- Comply with the legal requirements.
- Receive academic support and guidelines from Brainline throughout the year.
- Daily and/ or weekly virtual classes by qualified teachers.
- Complete scheduled tasks, tests and examinations.
- Tests and examinations to be marked by experienced subject specialists.
- Receive progress reports after each assessment cycle.
- receive a valid academic record, that is a prerequisite for admission to Grade 12.
Printed hard copies can be purchased from Credobooks or Protea Bookshop
Please note: Not all study material is available in hard copy format.
E-books can be purchased from snapplify.com
Until the end of 2020, Snapplify is offering free access to educational material.
How to access your study material
The Snapplify Reader is the application where you can access your ebook study material. Follow these steps to access your study material:
- Download the list of prescribed and recommend books for the year: https://brainline.com/booklist/.
- Go to https://www.snapplify.com/ and log in with Microsoft, using the learner's unique account details that we provide upon enrolment.
- Navigate to the shop and purchase each book in accordance with the list you downloaded in Step 1 that is relevant to your child.
Note: Purchased books are automatically loaded to the Snapplify Reader and must be accessed there.
- Go to https://getsnapplify.com/ and select your device type. Download the application/installer and install it on your device.
- Open the application and log in with your child’s username and password (created in Step 2).
- In the application, you will see the items you have purchased available for download.
- Once you have downloaded the books, you can access the learner's study material.
If you need any assistance, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brainline has over 30 years of passionate experience in distance education.
Brainline strives to be an innovative, quality-driven e-learning distance education institution. Celebrating 30 years in 2020, we continue to do what we love — enabling more and more learners to achieve their National Senior Certificate through innovative distance education solutions.
We have many insightful articles regarding distance learning
Do you have any unanswered questions?
Let us know by filling in the contact form and one of our team members will get back to you.