Grade 10-11 Brainlinexpress
The freedom to enjoy learning at your own pace.
BrainlineEXPRESS for Grade 10-11 allows you to choose and source study material for your child/a student, and provides an assessment portfolio that your child/a student can complete at his/her own pace.
Is BrainlineEXPRESS for Grade 10–11 the right product for you?
This is ideal if you:
Are able to source your child’s/the student’s study material.
Would like to complete the CAPS/IEB aligned assessment portfolio in your own time and at your own pace.
Don’t want to be bound by timelines and set schedules.
Don’t necessarily have regular internet access.
Still want to comply with the legal requirements.
Want the option to obtain a Brainline report.
Not what you are looking for?
We have worked out an easy quiz to help you navigate which of our products will serve you the best.
January to September
Purchase the Self-assessment Portfolio in the brainBOOKS Store and enrol for the optional Final Formal Assessment.
Complete the included mid-year Self-assessment Portfolio items.
Revise the year’s work. Consider enrolling for the optional Final Formal Assessment
Write the optional Final Formal Assessment according to the set schedule (if enrolled).
Receive a Brainline report, if you enrolled for the optional Final Formal Assessment.
To qualify for a National Senior Certificate, a learner should complete 7 subjects: one Home Language, an Additional Language, Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy, Life Orientation, and a minimum of 3 NSC approved subjects.
- Afrikaans Huistaal
- Afrikaans Eerste Addisionele Taal
- English Home Language
- English First Additional Language
*You need to attend a compulsory scheduled oral session in Grade 12 at one of our five branches.
- Physical Sciences*
- Life Sciences**
- Agricultural Sciences***
- Equine Studies****
*Mathematics is compulsory.
**Compulsory practical examinations in Grade 12 at a designated Brainline branch. Additional fees apply.
***Life Sciences is recommended.
****Grade 10–12: Access to a qualified international Level 1 instructor for practical assessments.
Grade 10–11: Competing in graded or equivalent shows at Novice Level.
Grade 12: Competing in graded or equivalent shows above Novice Level.
Regular riding lessons.
- Business Studies
*Mathematics is highly recommended.
- Mathematical Literacy
*The student must have access to his/her instrument, must have passed at least Grade 2 theory and practical from an accredited examination board, and must be receiving private lessons that focus on (at least) Grade 3 theory and practice.
Engineering Graphics and Design
- Engineering Graphics and Design*
- Computer Applications Technology**
- ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY – Digital Electronics (Grade 10 only)
- ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY – Electronics (Grade 10 only)
*Additional software required: TurboCAD 21 Deluxe. An A3 printer is required.
*Requires the full professional version of Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Microsoft Office 365 containing these full versions will also be accepted. Compulsory practical examination in Grade 12 at a Brainline branch.
Culture and Arts
- Dramatic Arts*
- Visual Arts
*Compulsory practical examinations in Grade 12 at a designated Brainline branch. Additional fees apply.
- Life Orientation
Successful completion of the previous grade is recommended.
Enrolment is open throughout the year. Assessments scheduled for a date after enrolment need to be completed.
Supervision by an independent invigilator is recommended during tests and examinations.
Progress reports are issued after each assessment cycle. These provide external evidence of your child’s CAPS-compliant assessment and academic record for future academic prospects.
According to the Draft Policy on Home Education, a parent/guardian may set his/her own promotion and retention requirements, provided these are equal to or exceed the standard requirements as determined by the national promotion criteria.
You, the parent/guardian, are responsible to source study material although Brainline will provide you with a list of suggested resources and work schedule.
Enrolments are only accepted for the full assessment portfolio in all the subject. Single subject enrolments are only available in Grade 10–11.
You will receive a Cycle 1 and 2 Test, and a mid-year examination assessment portfolio, for each subject with your purchase. Your child/the student should complete these items, as the outcome will enable you to monitor their progress.
Marking guidelines and assessment mark sheets are included in the assessment portfolio.
You, the parent/guardian/competent assessor, can mark these items at your own pace, as completed by your child/the student. You should file the completed marked items as evidence of compliance
Enrolling for the optional final examinations will give you access to brainONLINE where you will download and upload all your child’s/the student’s completed assessment items.
These examinations are written in the comfort of your own home according to a strict schedule that is published on brainONLINE and available upon enrolment and are marked by experienced subject specialists.
Supervision by an independent invigilator is recommended for the optional final examinations.
Your child/the student will receive a Brainline report on brainONLINE if you have enrolled him/her for the optional final examinations.
- are over the age of 18 and want to work towards your NSC.
- would like to complete Grade 10 and 11 in one year.
- have enough time to dedicate towards your studies so that you can master the full curriculum in one year.
- Quarterly virtual classes by qualified teachers.
- would like to continue with Grade 12 through Brainline the following year.
- are employed either part- or full-time and want to work toward your NSC find this product ideal.
Assessment PortfolioGrade 10-11
- This will give you access to brainONLINE where you will download the assessment portfolio. (7 Subjects)
- Please note the final examination can be purchased at an additional cost
Portfolio & ExaminationGrade 10-11
- This will give you access to brainONLINE where you will download and upload all your child’s completed assessment items before 30 September, inclusive of the assessment portfolio.
- These examinations are marked by experienced subject specialists.
- Follow a structured learning programme, based on the IEB requirements, in the comfort of your own home.
- Comply with the legal requirements.
- Receive academic support and guidelines from Brainline throughout the year.
- Daily and/ or weekly virtual classes by qualified teachers.
- Complete scheduled tasks, tests and examinations.
- Tests and examinations to be marked by experienced subject specialists.
- Receive progress reports after each assessment cycle.
- receive a valid academic record, that is a prerequisite for admission to Grade 12.
Printed hard copies can be purchased from Credobooks
The Brainline eReader
Navigate chapters. View content. Print what you need.
The Brainline eReader is our unique eBook viewer, designed in-house, where our students can access their textbooks in one convenient place.*
The Brainline eReader (which delivers all the study material) works with Windows 7 or above, and is also Mac compatible. It is currently not compatible with Android, iOS or other mobile devices.
You will need the following hardware and software:
- Licensed, updated Windows 7 or above (Windows XP is not supported).
- Also Mac-compatible.
- A word processing application.
- A webcam and a microphone, and the necessary software to record with these.
- A printer and scanner (You will need access to an A3 printer and scanner with EGD Grade 10 - 12, i.e. postnet)
A stable internet connection is required to download updates for the Brainline eReader and other software, as well as to download and upload assessments on brainONLINE.
- We highly recommend that you make use of a broadband internet connection.
- A minimum of 5 GB is required per month for uploads/downloads and content. Another 20 - 50 GB is recommended for streaming and downloading Cloud school classes.
- The Brainline eReader must be connected to the internet at least once every 29 days for license authentication.
Brainline has over 30 years of passionate experience in distance education.
Brainline strives to be an innovative, quality-driven e-learning distance education institution. Celebrating 30 years in 2020, we continue to do what we love — enabling more and more learners to achieve their National Senior Certificate through innovative distance education solutions.
We have many insightful articles regarding distance learning
Do you have any unanswered questions?
Let us know by filling in the contact form and one of our team members will get back to you.